Hello From Dothan

Welcome to our forum! As for chicken breeds, I personally believe that no breed is right for a child, but also every breed is right for a child. As long as you teach a child to be respectful and gentle with your chickens, every breed can work. Sure, you might not want a leghorn that can be flighty at times, but that leghorn can teach a child that everyone has boundaries you shouldn't cross. Then again, if a child seems too eager to play with chickens, and likes to be a little more rough, maybe it's not yet time for it to be introduced to chickens, emphasis on yet though. If your goal is more so for the children to be exposed to farm animals (help you collect eggs, feed the chickens,...etc) and not a more hands-on thing, then it doesn't really matter. I would say Buff Orpingtons would be a great one! Glad to have you :welcome

Hello I live in Dothan and have had chickens in the past. I am building a hoop coop and look forward to investing in some good egg layers and chosing the right breed that is good with kids.
Welcome to BYC!! Barred Rocks are very friendly, and Orpingtons are good birds as well! :)

Back
Top Bottom