Hello from Dubuque, IA

I use a 50 Gallon Rubbermaid storage bin and use a wood framed screen for the lid. I also have a 3.5’ x 4’ dog kennel I keep in the garage. I use this when they get too big but aren’t ready for the coop, either due to weather or if they’re not big enough to hold their own with future flockmates. How many are you getting?

Go big or go home right? Lol I am thinking both eating and laying. We were thinking a stock tank like they have them in at the store for a brooder with chips at the bottom a feeder and waterer. The clear heat lamp on the screen too

Good call, I like a colorful flock. Orps are good birds. Since your going for dual purpose birds, I don’t think you’d be disappointed if you threw a couple Barred Rocks and/or silver laced Wyandottes into the mix. It may benefit you in the future to try out a few different breeds now. See what you like best. They usually have all of those breeds in stock at Theisen’s through May. That said there’s nothing wrong with any of your plans. This is your flock.

Back
Top Bottom