Hello from east central Wisconsin

chaindrive

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Just wanted to say hello from Sheboygan Wisconsin. My Family and I have decided to keep 4 to 6 hens for eggs here in the city. I was raised on a farm in Florida. And I have had a hobby farm here in Wisconsin. Where I kept 40+ chickens and other fowl. So I have experience with raising chickens in hot and cold weather. I joined so I could keep up with the improvements and changes and sharing of info. I would love to keep more birds, but lot size is a restraint. My Wife actually was the one who suggested we do this, gotta love that. And now our two Boys 12 and 14 think it is a awesome idea. Looking forward to the spring and our new pets. Now to figure out what breeds we want to start with. Do any of you have red sexlinks, and what do you think of them? And any helpful tips are very much welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

You might check out the breeds section of BYC here for more info on the different breeds....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on the BYC Breeds section, the Henderson chicken chart also compares a lot of common breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j If you are looking for chickens strictly for eggs, the various Red Sex Links are probably the best brown egg layers so far as numbers go, most commercial producers use some cross of them. They are bred to produce a whole lot of eggs in the first two years or so, then be replaced, they do seem prone to reproductive problems because of their breeding. They can be rather bossy and pushy with other breeds of chickens. If you are looking for chickens more for pets and don't intend to replace them every couple of years, you might want to consider some of the breeds that don't lay quite as many eggs, but usually have a longer laying life span, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Delawares, Sussex etc are all popular breeds.

Thank you all for your warm welcome and informative links. I am really leaning towards the Buff Orffingtons, but would also love to find some local mixed breeds. I am thinking about buying a small incubator, hatch our own. But will do a lot more research on backyard breeds. I want what the buffs offer and Brahmas too, maybe a Buff Brahma cross. :) It gets really cold here and high humitdity being 12 blocks off the big lake. And would like birds with peacombs and small wattles, least likely to frostbite.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom