Hello from East Tennessee! Need some advice...

dmwood

Hatching
May 11, 2015
We've had backyard chickens for about 12 or 13 years, but we've come across a new situation -- and not sure how to handle it. We mail ordered chicks (15 plus two exotics), which arrived today AND our bantam silkie hatched two chicks about five days ago. Do we take the bantam chicks and put with our new chicks? Or do we put all the new chicks with the mama and two bantams?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

It is too late to add the new chicks to the Momma and her babies. You need to add chicks to a broody that has not yet hatched any chicks or just hatched one or two that day. She will not except these, most likely. So you can either leave the momma and her babies together and brood the new chicks, or you can remove the hatched chicks and mix with the new chicks you just received.

Good luck with your chicks! Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Two Crows answered your question well. Good luck with all of your chicks!

Thank you for the advice! She actually has one more egg that hasn't hatched. Possibility that she would accept them because of the unhatched egg she is sitting on?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

You may be interested in posting your new question under hatching forum. Sorry I can't help, no experience in hatches :)

Sometimes, once chicks are hatched they abandon the last egg(s). I think it would be best to have mama go back to the flock , and the hatchlings merge with your new chicks in the brooder. That way they will think they all belong together and may get along more peacefully than being introduced at a later time.

Good morning and welcome to BYC! Good luck with all your new birds.

welcome-byc.gif
Fellow Tennessean!

Glad you joined us.

You've gotten some good advise from the the other members. I would never take chicks away from the mother, it will only cause stress to both her and the chicks. I always let the mother raise the chicks, and brood the chicks I hatch artificially myself. Besides, you hen will not be able to raise all 17 chicks.

Enjoy your flock!

Back
Top Bottom