Hello from East Texas!!!

Jan77

Chirping
Jun 3, 2012
frow.gif
Hello to Everyone!! I have had chickens many times during my life beginning at age 10. I worked at a chicken farm nearby cleaning out the barns for extra money (saving to buy my horse)! I loved them so much, the farmer surprised me with a rooster and 2 hens one day. That grew to 30+ chickens. I have had chickens several times in my life since then. In March, I bought 14 chicks at age 3 to 4 weeks old. I also ordered specific breeds online. I now have Gold, Black, and Red sex link pullets, 2 Silver laced Cochin pullets, 1 Silver Penciled Egyptian Fayoumi pullet " Little Bit", and 4 pullets that I have no idea what they are...lol. I also have 4 to 5 week old chicks in breeds Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Plymouth Rock, and Ameraucana. I ordered straight runs on the Wyandotte and Speckled Sussex in hopes of a rooster from these 2 breeds. Funny, for certain we have a Rhode Island rooster...lol..go figure! During my research on breeds, I found BYC website and have used it for getting ideas on hen houses, runs, roosts, and other chicken issues. My husband and I are "young" retirees in our mid to late fifties. I was the Statistical Program Analyst for the VA Hospital and retired a year ago April. My husband was the Construction Control Manager at the VA and he retired from there last October. We have 3 children; 2 daughters and 1 son. We are grandparents to 8 beautiful grandchildren (5 boys-3 girls). We now live in the country again and are building our small "farm". So excited about our new life!
ya.gif

HI and welcome from western Colorado, (formerly of southeast TX) You will completely enjoy this website. Everyone on here has been very supportive, helpful as well as informative. You'll be glad you joined, I am!!

Hello and :welcome

Sounds very exciting!! Best of luck to you and hope everything goes well with the farm.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Hello Jan77.....nice to have you here.....wherebouts in East Texas are you? I'm in Whitehouse, just south of Tyler...perhaps we are neighbors?

Am kinda new to raising chickens and have started with Euskal Oiloas ( http://www.squidoo.com/euskal-oiloas-or-basque-hens-my-favourite-chicken-breed ).....started with 16 day-olds from Skyline Poultry, they are now 12 weeks old, eight boys and eight girls....they are so gentle it is impossible not to spoil them, lol, so they have stolen my heart...I can't wait to go out to greet them each morning, they are so happy to see me.....if I sit down, they are in my lap, lol....I hate the thought of parting with any of the roos (they are the friendliest and sweetest of the bunch) however I will need to find homes for a few....please keep me in mind should you know anyone who needs a 'pet' rooster, lol

Again, glad you have joined us...

Back
Top Bottom