Hello from East Texas

Terrys Tina

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
East Texas
Hello everyone. It's been a few years since I've had chickens. My husband and I have missed them and decided to start a new flock. Last weekend we picked up 6 pullets: 2 red sex links, 2 leghorns, 2 "ameraucanas" (I'm betting on Easter eggers). We also took in a friend's young RIR rooster who was becoming aggressive, since they have children and ours are grown & out (but I'm already thinking that was a mistake - lol). I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks since we decided we would be getting them. I found you guys while Googling questions and really like the site. It has already been helpful. I think I'll learn a lot here. Anyway, sorry to be long-winded! There's my awkward introduction. Lol
Tina

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Great intro and not long winded at all! :) Congrats on your new flock. Just be careful with the rooster. Once they start to become aggressive, they can hurt you badly and keep the young kids away from a nasty rooster. They can do big damage to little children. Not all roosters are cranky, but some of them go overboard in protecting the hens and turn mean to you. So just be careful and watch your body language. Always feed the rooster last with treats or food, never turn your back to him and make sure he knows you are in charge.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, BYC has the answers!

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

Thank you both for the welcome!

@ TwoCrows. Thank you! I still have a scar on my leg from the RIR rooster I had! That's why I took this one - I didn't want my friend's children hurt. He's already threatening me though. I'm trying some behavior modification I read on here. But yesterday I saw him drag one of the girls away from the food pan by her neck! We separated them so the girls could finish eating, but I'm thinking Rudy may end up having a short life span if we can't get this fixed. :(

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your mean RIR! You might try isolating him in a "jail" of some sort until he calms down. I have a jail for my flock. Whenever one of them is bad I just put her in there for about a half hour. When she is released again she is much better.

Good luck!

Yes, never EVER let the rooster hurt the hens. Unless you want fertile eggs or chicks, don't keep a rooster. They are more work than they are worth. And it is one thing to go after you, but to hurt the hens is just crazy.

I would keep him permanently separate or send him to the stew pot if this is the case. :)

I agree. We separated him until bedtime, then let him back in to roost. I wanted to find out from here if this was something normal before I made a decision on it though. I've only had a couple of roosters before, and neither hurt the hens. We actually were thinking about hatching some in the spring. But at this rate, it doesn't look like he's going to be around long enough to be daddy. I thought I could get my bluff over on him, but i am not going to take him going after my babies.

Back
Top Bottom