1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from east Tx

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by phickle, Jan 27, 2014.

1. phickle

phickle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    My name's Dave, and I live near Tyler, Texas.

We are new to chickens, only having them about a year. We bought 2 New Hampshire Red chicks last spring (coop MK 1), as part of an ongoing experiment with self-sufficiency, only to lose 1 to the neighbors dog (coop MK 2). A month later the same dog mauled pullet 2 (coop MK 3) but we nursed her back to health only to have a bird of prey take her (coop MK 4). A while later, a woman gave us 5 chicks, which have grown into Freedom Rangers, as near as we can tell. We like the idea of having the critters, so it's on and upward from here.

We have the 5 Rangers, 4 roosters and 1 hen (free straight run). We are getting 10 Silkies later this week. When Spring rolls in we'll add Cochins, Australorps, and Turkens (they look just way too freaky not to have).

When the first birdie-birds came home we scoured the net for information. BYC came up everytime I had a question. Needless to say, I lurked quite a while, only now getting the moxy to join.

I am trying to soak up everything I can find about farmyard-type critters, gardening, and homesteading in general. It may sound silly (I'm a guy, and 40, and only semi-rural) but the concept as a whole really gets me going. I'm a recreational Benchrest shooter, I only compete against myself anymore, and seem to be plateau'ed out at 700m. Of course that was before animals took my range time, LOL.

My wife and 2 kiddos (The Boy-7 and That Girl-9) round out the domestic family unit, all 3 of which seem to want me in an early grave..
    We have 2 spoiled rotten Dachshunds, 2 fuzzy Terriers that were abandoned (wife's HUGE heart), and 4 rabbits of different breeds (1 is pregnant). I can appreciate the irony that every canine we have has been used to hunt every livestock we have. I've been an automotive mechanic for the last decade, but currently unemployed, and I have no desire to go back to turning wrenches. Hopefully something will turn up for me in residential HVAC, global warming and all, LOL. A nice summer day here is only 185* F.

That's about all I can think of at the moment, I've run out of template.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you in the flock [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you are well on your way to great living! Good luck in all your endeavors and enjoy life!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Dave, welcome to BYC, and good luck with your flock.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    First things first, I think the "dog" needs to disappear. If you can get ahold of him take him to some animal shelter and leave him there.
    Unless you prefer the SSS manner of dealing with predators. After he is gone their will be others after a free meal.

I think you will loose a lot of silkies if you do not have a well contained outside coop with cover. I use silkies as an example because their big crests and beards obscure their vision. Also their feather type pretty much rules out "survival by flying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by