Hello from England

UKDeb

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2015
England, UK
Hello everyone! Firstly I’d like to say a big heartfelt thank you for this wonderful website, it has helped me so much. I spent all summer reading in preparation for purchasing our first hens, being anxious to make as few beginner mistakes as possible!

At the end of September we bought 4 young birds which the breeder said would likely come into lay in January. 1 Derbyshire Redcap, 1 Cream Legbar, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Blue/Buff Orpington Cross. I’ve spent two months learning all about their little characters and getting to know them. I even forgot they were meant to lay eggs!

So why did I sign up today? Because my beautiful little Red LAID AN EGG!! And I’m bursting with pride!! I am so glad we didn’t get hens that were already laying and that we got to know their personalities first – it made it all so much more special! And what a lovely little well-formed egg. Well done Red you clever girl
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Congratulations on getting that first (of many) egg! That's a wonderful moment, good for little Red.

It's nice to hear BYC has already been a lot of use to you. There's a ton of information here and a lot of friendly, helpful members so make yourself at home.

Thanks for joining us!

Hi :welcome from Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your first egg :celebrate Its always so exciting when you find those little treasures!!
Where abouts in the UK are you? The link for the UK thread is in my signature you could pop by and say hi. There may be other keepers there who are near to you.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and a very warm welcome to BYC and congrats on your first egg - nice one!

Ct

Thank you all for the lovely welcome!
smile.png

I spent all day yesterday watching Red but no signs of another egg. She laid the first one outside of the hen house in her run (it's covered and dry with bedding) so I bought some dummy eggs today and popped them into the nest box. Red immediately went to investigate and started moving the eggs around! But still no second egg today - I'm an absolute beginner but I can tell her behaviour is different so I'm hopeful another egg is on it's way!

Does it take a while for them to settle down and become regular?!

I'm in the Midlands Yorkshire Coop - I'll check out your link!
big_smile.png

Hi again - yep it may take a while until your hen gets her plumbing sorted out so don't be alarmed if you find the odd soft shell egg or she misses a few days

Ct

Back
Top Bottom