Hello from Fauquier County, VA

Brandon J

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 5, 2017
We moved from Fairfax County (suburban, sprawl-like) to semi-rural Fauquier County, VA a year and a half ago. I've been wanting to get backyard chickens for many years and finally can now that we have 1 acre and rights to own up to 10 laying hens. With that, we just purchased an order from McMurray.

We're planning on keeping 10 and gifting/selling/culling 5, but expect some loss due to stupidity of being first timers.

Fortunately we have a 6' fenced backyard for raising them until adulthood, after which we might experiment with free ranging and/or electro-net. I feel like the cost/benefit of electro-net outweights cost to build a large run. Most of our property is in the front, so I'd hope to free range them there, although technically the statute says the chickens must be kept in the back yard. I was thinking a mobile coop would be best, although it needs to look nice too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

:welcome
Welcome to byc! Glad you joined this site!
Nobody is at the bottom of the pecking order here!
32250285-D878-4387-A272-B9E6C93AB936.gif
:woot:celebrate
3D968F29-7367-4AA8-8504-2A3F20114768.jpeg
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM MY FAMILY TO YOURS!

We moved from Fairfax County (suburban, sprawl-like) to semi-rural Fauquier County, VA a year and a half ago. I've been wanting to get backyard chickens for many years and finally can now that we have 1 acre and rights to own up to 10 laying hens. With that, we just purchased an order from McMurray.

We're planning on keeping 10 and gifting/selling/culling 5, but expect some loss due to stupidity of being first timers.

Fortunately we have a 6' fenced backyard for raising them until adulthood, after which we might experiment with free ranging and/or electro-net. I feel like the cost/benefit of electro-net outweights cost to build a large run. Most of our property is in the front, so I'd hope to free range them there, although technically the statute says the chickens must be kept in the back yard. I was thinking a mobile coop would be best, although it needs to look nice too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Be prepared to have a grassless backyard in short order, as in not a thing growing. I'd suggest something that's easily portable, with wheels; maybe a hoop coop or something on a trailer that can be moved by hand or a decent riding mower.

Incidentally, 6' fencig ain't gonna hold 'em if they take a notion to be on the other side; not unless it's covered, preferrably with webbing.

Back
Top Bottom