Hello from France

Janedo

Hatching
6 Years
May 12, 2013
South of France
Hello. I live in the South of France. We finally decided to get our own chickens after a couple of years toying with the idea. The kids really wanted some and it seemed sensible since we have a large garden, veggie patch and do compost. Plus we eat a lot of eggs and I was getting sick of paying so much for local organic eggs. I have a friend who is an organic farmer and sells eggs. He also sells some of his first year hens so I bought four of them. I don't know what breed they are, just classic red. They started laying the very first day and haven't missed a day since, actually laying earlier and earlier with the summer coming. We are really enjoying them and I never thought I'd find hens so much fun!!! They we hilarious and have become very used to being pet, followed, watched. I admit I even opened the top of the laying box to watch one lay. She just looked at me and got on with her business, no worries. We splurged on a classic kit coop with a small, safe run that we placed on a concrete base but then also built a fenced in outer run. We've had them for a month and they seem very happy. But it is all very new for us. Lots to learn!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us@@@

Back
Top Bottom