Hello From Garland Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ccabal, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ccabal

ccabal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi Folks,
    My name is Christian Cabal, We are a family of 6. 4 young kids and my wife Deanna.
    We just started with chickens this summer. Got them as chicks in late May. They are growing up, at the late teenage stage I think.
    Garland only allows 4 hens. When I got the chicks, I forgot what all the kinds I got! I know I have 1 Americauna, and 1 black-sex-link, but the other 2 I totally forgot.

Their names are
    1. Stinkerpot (Americauna)- named because as a chick she always made a mess in the cage, with the food and water.
    2. Goldie - (she was first a yellow fluff-ball, now is a reddish hen.
    3. Black beauty - the black sex-link
    4. Angel - a white chicken, not sure what breed

I have a couple newbie questions -
    1. Its hot in Texas! My chickens are almost always panting. Is that something I should be worried about?
    2. Mosquitos.-- do they bother chickens? I know when I am outside in the evening they eat me up. I feel sorry for the chickens. Can they get West-Nile or something from the mosquitos?

BTW I also love gardening. Check out my blog:

http://cabalgarlandtxgarden.blogspot.com/

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Chickens handle cold much better than heat. Panting does indicate they are hot and also if they hold their wings away from their body - trying to cool off. The most important things you can do for them is to provide fresh, cold water, shade (real or artificial), water misters , fans etc.

You can change water more often and add ice. Shade can be shade cloth draped over the top of the runs or even over a small table so they have a place to out of the sun. Water misters put out a very fine spray - chickens either love it or are scared too death it - that's chickens! You could run a fan inside the coop - if it is well protected from contact with birds and mounted securely so it doesn't fall on them. Moving air feels cooler.

You can wet down the ground in some places so they can lay/dig in the damp soil. You can put out frozen gallon bottles of water - they can lay near. They love cold treats like watermelon.

If you go to "where am I, where are you," you can locate your state thread and post on it. The people from your area may have more/better tips for handling the heat - also they would know what breeds are more heat hardy.

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, ccabal, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Drumstick addressed things pretty well so I'll just say best wishes to you and your flock!

5. thudson

thudson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Gatesville Texas
    WELCOME! [​IMG] I have been raising chickens for a little while now, just got back into it. But this is a blast I look forward to coming home each and everyday and checking on my girls and seeing what surprises they give me each day in their nest boxes!

6. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Ohio!!!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. Welcome to BYC glad you joined us!