Hello from Georgia

They can be brooded in the coop. What are you waiting for?
They shouldn't be out in the coop as baby chicks you can't keep an eye on them as well; wait until they are 4 to 5 weeks old. You will need to have access to water for pasty butt if they get it and keep an eye on they food, water and temperature. Spend lots of time with them.

Last edited:
They shouldn't be out in the coop as baby chicks you can't keep an eye on them as well; wait until they are 4 to 5 weeks old. You will need to have access to water for pasty butt if they get it and keep an eye on they food, water and temperature.
Sorry but this is pure nonsense. A chick raised in a coop under a brooder plate rarely experiences pasty butt. It's just as easy to provide food and clean water to a chick as it is to an adult chicken.
Not once have I ever had a chick inside my house. They start and end in the coop.
Non broody raised chicks being brooded in the coop:
1 week olds.jpg

Ancona.jpg
They are healthier, feather out faster, integrate into an adult flock on their own by 6-7 weeks.

roost pile up.jpg

Broody raised chicks hatched in the coop, raised in the coop and integrated at 2 weeks (the one all the way on the left in the first picture):
Auntie Momma 3.jpg
Barb first day outside with kids.jpg

Tinks first chicks.jpg

Kerrie with her chicks.jpg

Sorry but this is pure nonsense. A chick raised in a coop under a brooder plate rarely experiences pasty butt. It's just as easy to provide food and clean water to a chick as it is to an adult chicken.
They are healthier, feather out faster, integrate into an adult flock on their own by 6-7 weeks.
Not once have I ever had a chick inside my house. They start and end in the coop.
Non broody raised chicks being brooded in the coop:
Broody raised chicks hatched in the coop, raised in the coop and integrated at 2 weeks (the one all the way on the left in the first picture):
View attachment 3224771View attachment 3224773
View attachment 3224774
View attachment 3224776
Thats nonsence mine feathered out inside in 2 weeks and grew fast but I could keep a better eye on them inside rather than run outside 50 times a day to check. And theres no proof that they get pasty but any less out side. And if you read the original post she is still building her coop.

They shouldn't be out in the coop as baby chicks you can't keep an eye on them as well; wait until they are 4 to 5 weeks old. You will need to have access to water for pasty butt if they get it and keep an eye on they food, water and temperature. Spend lots of time with them.
They'll probably be moved out in a week or two (when 4-5 weeks old). In the meantime they're spending time outdoors everyday in an enclosed area. 😊

Back
Top Bottom