Hello from Germany

Nay

Songster
Sep 19, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Hi, my name is Nay and I live in Northern Germany. I am originally from California. I am new to the site but have been lurking here for some time, as I hope to someday soon get a flock and learn to care for them beforehand.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Brand new! Never had chickens before.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently-- none. We have recently found out we will be moving to Scotland in the next months so figured it was best not to get any yet.

(3) What breeds do you have?
When we were looking for chickens, we wanted to rescue some layers from industrial egg farms. There is a great organization by us that handles the rescues. We will probably go this route when we move to Scotland!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Online research

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love gardening and bike riding. One of my favorite things is to feed the neighborhood birds.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I work as a researcher for a nonprofit. I have two rescue dogs that are the most spoiled chihuahuas probably in the whole country!

Hi and welcome to BYC! I have family living in Germany right now but Scotland sounds like an incredible place to live too. Just reading your post tells me that you are just going to LOVE raising chickens! I guarantee that you'll be gardening with your girls and hand feeding them all the time. It's awesome that you plan to rescue factory hens. They won't know what to do with themselves, being suddenly pampered :)

Hi and welcome to BYC! I have family living in Germany right now but Scotland sounds like an incredible place to live too. Just reading your post tells me that you are just going to LOVE raising chickens! I guarantee that you'll be gardening with your girls and hand feeding them all the time. It's awesome that you plan to rescue factory hens. They won't know what to do with themselves, being suddenly pampered :)
Thanks so much Auroradream26! I have heard that it can quite challenging raising ex-factory birds, but I am up to it and hope to learn as much as I can beforehand. I very much love living here (and we have a great yard for chickens, too!), but work reasons mean we are off to Scotland so we are up for the adventure. It will be cold though!! :)

Thanks so much Auroradream26! I have heard that it can quite challenging raising ex-factory birds, but I am up to it and hope to learn as much as I can beforehand. I very much love living here (and we have a great yard for chickens, too!), but work reasons mean we are off to Scotland so we are up for the adventure. It will be cold though!! :)

May I ask what you do? My uncle and his family just moved to Germany for work lol. He works with the embassies and travels every couple years to a different country.

May I ask what you do? My uncle and his family just moved to Germany for work lol. He works with the embassies and travels every couple years to a different country.
We are both academics. A few of my family members are in the foreign service and move around quite a lot as well. It sounds like a similar situation-- they stay for about 3 years and then go back to DC, then on to another exciting place.

:welcome

Hi Nay, it's nice to have you join us! Once you get settled in Scotland, you'll have opportunities to get the flock you want and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Best wishes!

Yep, that's about the same thing my uncle and his family do. They've been to some incredible places over the years and their kids have grown up seeing some amazing things. They've lived in Thailand and Rome most recently.
That's incredible, and what a great experience for the kids. Moving is pretty tough on me though. I am excited about going, but getting exhausted thinking about what needs to happen to do the move. Some people adore travel and living in different places, I just want to be settled for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom