Hello from Goodwater, AL!

devinpaige

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2021
central alabama
Hello and thank you for being such a welcoming and helpful community so far! My name is Devin and I’m so happy to be here with you all.

Without further ado, here is my introduction Q&A ☺️

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I first got chickens a little over one year ago. I still consider myself to be very new to chickens- I feel like I learn something about them every day!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 9 hens, 14 roosters, 6 ducks and 3 drakes. My most recent batch of chicks ended up being all roosters except for 1 (can you believe my luck….), so we’re currently working out a living dynamic that works best for everyone!

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have a pretty mixed flock!
-Plymouth Rock
-Leghorn
-Rhode Island Red
-Silkie
-Wyandotte
-Muran
-Ameraucana
-Australorp
My Ducks are Indian Runners, a Kayuga, and Khaki Campbells.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love how much peace and happiness they bring me. I could sit in the yard all day just watching them explore and enjoy their lives. Plus, their personalities are each so funny and unique!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I’ve been practicing photography since I was in early middle school, it’s one of my passions in life. I am also very involved and passionate about animal rescue work, and have rescued 12 of my own flock from tough situations.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My partner and I have been together for about six years now. We live in the country, on a piece of land that his family left to us. We have dedicated our life here to fostering, rescuing, and rehabilitating animals in need. Along with our flock, we have 6 dogs and more cats than I’m allowed to mention 😉

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC when one of my chickens got sick about six months ago. I discovered so much helpful information, freely given by a warm and welcoming community. I immediately fell in love with the members in the forums, and started to come here for all my flock related concerns. You guys have helped guide me through so many tough situations!
I finally made an account because I had a question about something that no one seemed to be asking or have an answer to. I’m still digging to find out more info, but the guidance I’ve received so far has been very encouraging!

Thanks for welcoming me into your community, I can’t wait to learn more!

One of the many great things about BYC is that it connects you with people who share your interests -- poultry-related and otherwise.

I just welcomed my second (current) rescue dog into the family Saturday, although I have a long history of rescue adoptions. And, I frequently mumble when people ask how many critters I have.

Welcome to BYC, Devin, and I hope you get helpful answers to all of your questions. It's good to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom