Hello from HOT Central Texas!

slugdog

Hatching
Jul 16, 2016
Still trying to talk my wife into getting a few chickens for fresh eggs and meat. She has memories of her grandmother's chickens which includes a grassless back yard, and she loves her lawn. We try to eat organic, so hopefully she'll go for the cost savings. Organic chicken breasts cost about $5-6 bucks apiece! Anyway, look forward to doing some research here and finding answers to questions I'll undoubtedly have!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think you would enjoy checking our your state thread. Just put Texas in the searchbox and it will pop up.

I'm sure the locals could tell you what breeds handle the climate and which type of coop works best for them.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Good luck with convincing wifey - likely to be a marathon, rather than a sprint, but hopefully male "logic" will win the day :)

Best wishes
Ct

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
If you put a limited number of chickens on a well cared for lawn they should do fine and not too much damage. Right now I have a postage stamp backyard, half of which is cement, one pen with a hen and her brood, which I move around, 3 more hens and 3 youngsters running around and they are not even close to keeping the grass down, never mind destroy it. Note I'm in Ireland, we don't get a load of sun and heat here either! So I'd say with a small number of birds, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom