Hello from Houston, TX

NewbieChickenFlocker

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2022
Hello everyone. My name is Rick and I just started building my coop/run to be ready to house pullets around March-April. 8x6 chicken coop with a 18x8 fully hardware clothed run and most likely going to fence off an additional 20x30 netted area for them to roam.

My flock will be mostly if not all bantams which leads to this question. Does anyone recommend any heat tolerant bantams and do you recommend a farm in or around Houston to pick and purchase the hens?

Hi Rick and welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you decided to join our friendly and helpful community. I don't know much about bantams, so hopefully somebody else will chime in about that.
Here's the state thread for Texas... You might get some more help there about where to get some bantams.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas.44/page-4968

Well! this I can say. It was -2 F last night and my serama rooster was bouncing around like he didn't notice. Welcome to BYC! nice to meet you.

Attachments

• DSCN0456.JPG
    DSCN0456.JPG
    869.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi Rick, welcome to BYC.
I'm in east Texas, but I have standard breeds, and other than a couple of bantam sized hens, I don't have experience with them.
I'm sure that bantam old English game hens would do fine in the heat. All of my standard chickens do well, as long as they have deep shade and plenty of fresh water. I don't use misters because our humidity is already so high, but I do make mud holes for them.

Back
Top Bottom