Hello from Houston

Hi Brad,
I just joined today too. We are in the midst of reasearching how to raise chickens in Arizona. You will have the same heat challenges as us. We're also planning to start with Rhode Island Reds as I have read they are more heat tolerant than some others. I raised chickens growing up and am really excited to do it again. Right now we are looking at coop designs and deciding which would be the best for our backyard application.
Are you planning to purchase chicks?
Kristine

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Happy you joined!
thumbsup.gif

Hi Brad,
I just joined today too. We are in the midst of reasearching how to raise chickens in Arizona. You will have the same heat challenges as us. We're also planning to start with Rhode Island Reds as I have read they are more heat tolerant than some others. I raised chickens growing up and am really excited to do it again. Right now we are looking at coop designs and deciding which would be the best for our backyard application.
Are you planning to purchase chicks?
Kristine

I'm actually picking some chicks up today along with some Texas A&M coturnix quail. The guy I'm getting them from has over 6000 quail and close to 100 chickens. We shall see what I end up with.

Oh, how fun! I discovered a place to buy day-week old chicks here in Arizona! All of the hatcheries that ship seem to have a 15 bird minimum, which is WAY too many. I am calling today to find out about which breeds are available this time of year.

hello fellow Houston friend. Hope we get a break from this boiling hot weather already.

No kidding. I run a lawn service and this heat has been whipping my butt.

Heading out here soon to pick up my new chickens and quail. I'll post up when I get them.

Back
Top Bottom