Hello from Hutchinson KS!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suzy4027, Mar 29, 2015.

1. suzy4027

suzy4027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Hutchinson KS
    My name is Suzy Davis and our family just jumped into backyard ducks. I'm so excited to have found this website! My neighbors have chickens and ducks. My fourth grade daughter, Cammie, fell in love with their ducklings and showed herself to be a duck whisperer! Lol. Even though we're in a neighborhood now, my husband and I both grew up on farms. Him on a dairy and me on a welsh pony/horse show farm. We have animal science degrees so this will be a breeze, right?! Riiiight... Lol My husband is the planner and I am the obsessive information gatherer. Before we bought some chicks, I poured over breeds that would work for us and this site has been the perfect resource! The first time we looked at ducklings, we didn't even know what a Rouen was, much less how to tell one from a mallard. We went to TSC and Orchliens (I know, I know [​IMG]) and because of the breed info I found, got 2 Welsh Harlequens. They are so sweet and doing well. I wanted either a male and female, or 2 females. I could spot a female immediately, but wasn't sure if the rest were males. Their bills were darker, but some still had a pink tint. I went with the next lightest "dark" billed duck I saw. Luckily they were all in good health and bright eyed or we wouldn't have gotten ANY. (I have 13yrs experience working and selling pharms to vets) I'll post a pic on the duckling thread and see what the more experienced opinions say about their gender! My husband has already made a coop that's sturdy enough for a calf. [​IMG] They won't be out there until they're fully feathered, don't worry. We're all in love already and the duckies love my daughter. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

I have only chickens but ducklings are so cute. Hope no more than one turns out to be male.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] Enjoy those ducklings!

5. suzy4027

Mar 29, 2015
    Hutchinson KS
    Oh my gosh, they ARE so cute! Hee hee. Sunflour, we only have 2 so it's cool either way. I've looked at more thread pics and I'm pretty sure we have 2 girls. I just didn't want 2 boys since my daughter is a pretty small 4th grader and if the ducks got confused during puberty and thought she was a good mate, she may think they were attacking her. The would be awful on so many levels. Not the Least of which would be explaining to her that they weren't being mean. [​IMG]

6. suzy4027

Mar 29, 2015
    Hutchinson KS
    Sorry for the run on sentences! I have issues with typing the same way I talk. Lol. Lots and like a babbling brook!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Enjoy your ducks!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Suzy!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I love baby ducks!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by