Hello from IL

katschicks11

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Edwardsville, IL
I've been a long time lurker:cool:, I finely have my coop done ( thanks to all the good ideas here) I reworked a free 4x4 shipping crate and a used dog kennel, using things I had around, I spent about $100 at the most. That was for more fencing to secure it into Fort Knox, and paint and hardware. Not perfect, I'm happy with it, but husband was impressed and bragged to his coworkers about what his wife did and want me to e-mail pic so he can show them.
I picked up my very pretty girls last night, 4 Black Austrlorps. They are about 5 months old. I locked them in the coop last night when I got them home to settle in there, they found food and water right away, they didn't roost on the bar but I guess that will come in time. I opened the pop door to the run this mornin...now I'm trying to wait patiently for them to come out.
roll.png

I want to thank everyone here for all the good info on caring for chickens.

Good for you and welcome. What part of IL are you in? I'm in St. Louis, MO.
I like Australorps but I sold mine.
You mentioned roost bar. This is just a thought but make sure they have a wide roost this winter so they can cover their feet.

Thank to all the welcomes.
I'm from the Edwardsville area, not far from STL.
I made my roost bar from a 2x4 so I think that will work.
I encouraged my girls to out into their run, when the scary monster (me) didn't eat them, then they enjoyed eating at the grass. They are still shy but they are warming up some. Now if they will go back in the coop tonight or I'll be helping back in.

former chicagoan city moved to western ky farm welcome to backyard chickens. dont forget to check out the breeds list has alot of info even if your not showing. also check out the other poultry besides chickens gamefowl, turkeys etc. lots of info and poultry is addicting. take care and hope things go well for you

Back
Top Bottom