Hello from Kansas

Obewan

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up around chickens on my grandparents farm. I had my own flock of about 80 birds about a decade ago, but had to move from the family farm, so that flock was given to a neighbor - along with the coop and run. Since it is only me now, and I have purchased my own place - I plan on keeping this new flock small at around 5-8 birds. The number will fluctuate as I intend to try breeding for continued independent propagation of my flock and those around me without relying on outside sources. Breeding chickens is something I have never done before.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None - I should have my first couple of birds in mid to late April.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I'm still kinda narrowing the list, but I think I've settled on starting this new flock with a Wyandotte (I prefer gold-laced, if I can get them), and an Orpington (I would prefer a Black Orpington but will probably settle for a Buff) my fallback for this year would be a White Rock or possibly a Plymouth Rock - probably in that order. Next year I would like to pick up an Australorp or an Americauna or one of the others mentioned that I did not get this year. I loved my leghorns from my previous flock, but I did have some minor issues with the rooster, and one or two hens, with frostbite. So while the issue was relatively mild, they just didn't want to get out of the snow when they were left to free range, I don't really want to deal with that again if I can keep from it, so being more selective about breed choice is my answer to that concern. I'm also slightly leaning more towards pea comb bird breeds for that reason as well, but some breeds I am just drawn to - so who knows.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They really do require very little "maintenance" if you set everything up correctly, provide them with some free range access to get the bugs, and choose breeds that are suited for your climate. Of course fresh eggs are the best! ...and I must admit, I do like the interaction with my birds - I've always had good experiences with all of the chickens I've ever been around... Tho the Rhode Island Reds in my previous flock did sometimes appear to be more aggressive towards the other birds than I would have liked.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Woodworking, Miniatures, Healthy Living (as much as I can), my Orchard and Berry Patch, Movies, and Educating Myself.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share:
Small business owner in a small town with no dogs, no cats, and no other pets.... other than chickens soon!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I've been here before but couldn't remember my access - and since I probably used an email address I don't have access to anymore - I needed to create a new account. I was originally a member somewhere back around 2012-2013-ish.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. This is a great place to hang out.
Thanks! I hope I get to share a few helpful experiences with folks as I begin to re-engage... My Grandpa just built a "lean-to" inside the barn for his chickens back in the day. My neighbors thought my last coop/run was amazing, but I had a few issues with it that I plan to correct with a totally new "chicken house" build concept (at least for me). Materials are gonna be a lot more challenging today than back then - and a heck of a lot more expensive, so we'll see how all that goes... But hey, gotta start somewhere. I should have started building last year!

A dream will never become a reality until you turn it into a plan and then act on the plan!

Back
Top Bottom