Hello from Kentucky!

kmehlbauer

Hatching
Jan 18, 2016
Hi all! My husband and I just bought a homw with a few acreas and are ready to get started with chickens for the first time! We live in rural kentucky. We experience all seasons.

I guess my first question is what to look for when building a coop and common first-timer mistakes!

Thanks!
K

Hi all! My husband and I just bought a homw with a few acreas and are ready to get started with chickens for the first time! We live in rural kentucky. We experience all seasons.

I guess my first question is what to look for when building a coop and common first-timer mistakes!

Thanks!
K

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Not on BYC but with some people I meet in person they build their pen to keep their chickens in when you should be building your pen to keep predators out. Also you can never give your chickens too much space. If you have any other questions or want advice on breeds just ask.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I highly recommend the Learning Center, as the best place to start a chicken education. You may also like to join your state thread. Just put the name in the search box and it should pop up. That way you can find out how people in your area, handle the weather, what breeds do best, etc. Other great places to visit, the coops section, "Raising Backyard chickens , thread, and the predator threads.

Birdrain is very right. Really most anything can keep chickens IN , Keeping predators out is a whole different story. I would recommend you use 1/2" hardware cloth to replace any flimsy chicken wire, in your build. Hardware cloth costs more, lasts, much longer, and does hold up to most predators. If you have Bears, all bets are off.

Welcome to BYC. Great advice from the previous posts. I would also highly recommend the Dummy books about chickens. Chicken Health for Dummies and Raising Chickens for Dummies. These are the best chicken books I have read and they covered so many things I never even considered.
As well as the books this site is amazing! Between the books and this site most all of your questions can be answered. Also is there any one close to you that has chickens? If so it may be good to stop and introduce your self and ask them for any wisdom they have to share.
Before we built our coop we made visits to people in our area and asked for tips. Also did a lot of reading on this site.
Wishing you the best on this new adventure.

Hi and welcome to to BYC. All the best with your coop planning!

Cheers
Ct

welcome-byc.gif

You've received some great tips already, the only one I would add is to build bigger than you think you'll need. Flocks have a way of growing once "chicken math" kicks in.

Have fun and if you have questions, always feel free to ask. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members here to help out.

Back
Top Bottom