Hello from KY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wood&feathers, Dec 24, 2009.

1. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    [​IMG] I am a mom in the edge of the eastern mountains. We live on 108 mostly wooded acres. I just took the leap with one mutt roo (he's half Buff Orp. and half White Rock) and three pullets, 2 RIR and one barred Rock. Got two kids and a grumpy-bout-chooks DH, an ancient Aus. shepherd, a hyper young Malinois (abandoned puppy last spring), 1 fat orange tom cat, 1 corn snake.

I am a woodworker and make Native American style flutes and bows. I blame my interest in chickens on my Irish grandparents and aunt, plus feather lust. I have helped a friend eat her surplus roosters for a couple years (I kill and clean and she gets some meat back that doesn't resemble her babies).

My daughter wanted chickens and I have sympathetic memories on the subject. I picked the subordinate roo from my friend's bunch. I wanted to test the kids' interest and my facilities. This roo turned out to be a sweetie. He is now in a run and coop with young ladies acquired just for him. He loves tummy rubs, and always lets his ladies eat first. Give him treats and he drops the treat and calls the dominant pullet over. She's the wariest of the lot, but she is already "mothering" the younger RIRs.

I plan to go in on some hatching eggs in February.

Looking forward to our own eggs someday!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma......... Nice to have you here. The DH will adjust [​IMG]

3. [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    From, VA

I know you will enjoy this forum a lot [​IMG]

Matthew

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    [​IMG] from GA.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome! Flutes? cool! [​IMG]

6. TheGoldenRoo

TheGoldenRoo A Crazy and Fun Chicken

Oct 15, 2009
    ND
    [​IMG]

7. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

9. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    [​IMG] from Oregon. Thanks for introducing yourself and Joining us. Merry Christmas

10. LaZeyLRanch

LaZeyLRanch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    Alexandria AL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by