Hello from Lexington KY - Poss. move to Ft. Lauderdale, FL

jeaniesmith

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2015
I've been reading the site and forums for almost a year now but I realized I never actually introduced myself.

I'm Jeanie and I currently live in Lexington KY with 1 roommate, 2 small dogs and 9 hens (2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orps, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 3 EEs).

I'm considering an opportunity that would require me to move to the Ft Lauderdale area and wanted to see what folks posted about in that area of Florida.

Far as I can tell the city of Ft. Lauderdale doesn't allow chickens but Broward County which Ft Lauderdale is located within does allow chickens.

I'm looking for any feedback from local chicken owners to get a sense of where I would want to look for housing if I am interested in keeping my chickens.

Thanks!
Jeanie

Hi, Jeanie, welcome to BYC. Have you typed 'Florida' in the search bar at the top of the page? Give it a try, and good luck with your relocation.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

I do not know anything about chicken law in FL, but wish you luck finding a place that allows chickens if you do end up moving.

Welcome to BYC, Jeanie. Glad you decided to join our flock. NorthFlChick will probably be along to welcome you shortly and she can probably answer questions you may have about Florida. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi Jeanie,
welcome-byc.gif

You should drop by our state thread and say hi to other FL members:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

If you relocate, are you planning on moving your existing flock to FL or are you going to start over with new birds? I'm located quite a way from Ft. Lauderdale so your temperatures are going to be even a bit warmer, you'll definitely want to keep the local climate in mind if you move. Heat and humidity can be real stressors on birds and extra measures need to be taken to keep the flock comfortable in the summer.

Come on by the state thread, I'm sure there are members there that are closer to the area you're considering and they could help with questions you have about housing.

Thanks for joining us!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

You may want to contact the County Extension Agent in Broward County - they may be able to help you locate the areas there that allow chickens.

Back
Top Bottom