Hello from Louisiana

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Happy you joined us!

Warning! Since you free-range, they may not notice the hen boxes at all! When you give them the 'world' to forage in, they are known to lay eggs anywhere...so, I would actually Lock them in there for a week at about 6.5 months. For your grown hens you have now, I would do it now! Put some plastic Easter eggs or golf balls in there, but locking them in reinforces that the coop is the 'safe'place' and they will be stuck HAVING to lay somewhere and they will learn that that is where. Free ranging IS best, but with my experience, I still find eggs in the oddest of places...still! I have used every trick in the book, and for some reason, I will find ones color that I haven't found in the nest in a few days, and sure enough, somewhere in the woods or under the house, or lord...anywhere I will find 3 or 4 of her color there. Drives me crazy... Usually, the older hens are the teachers for the younger ones and they follow suit most of the time. But free rangers will forage too far away, and find a spot they like! Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom