Hello from Maryland

Mama Alanna

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
Hello! I'm Alanna, and I'm here because some fellow with a giant rooster following him around has mentioned you several times on another forum. *waves to A.T. Hagan*

Currently we have no chickens, nor any other livestock. That may change in the future; we are discussing going in with my YDD and her family to buy a hobby farm, and they want it ALL; chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, cows, golden retrievers, bees, alpacas, lord knows what else.

I just want something that lays good strong big eggs. I do pysanky (Ukrainian Easter eggs) and it's frustrating when a store-bought egg that took several hours to make cracks when I go to empty it!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Your hobby farm sounds very interesting and I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. Fresh eggs from your hens can't be beaten, far better than any store bought ones. The learning centre would be a great place for you to check out, lots of great articles to have a read through. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC, Alanna. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would suggest going with Black Sex Links (Black Stars). Not only are they very friendly and hardy egg laying machines that consistently churn out more than 300 brown eggs per hen per year, but their eggs have been consistently the biggest of the dozens of breeds and hybrids that I've had. Just make sure that you supply a dish of crushed oyster shells in addition to their feed. The additional calcium will make for strong egg shells. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Alanna,
welcome-byc.gif

I think I've seen members showing off their Ukrainian eggs over in the hobbies forum, very pretty eggs!

Your hobby farm sounds like fun, let us know if you have questions.

It's nice to have you here!

You may want to post in the hobby threads. I know others do the eggs but ,you could ask what breed of hen seems to lay the best for your purpose. I would imagine you would prefer a white egg layer -. If you wanted major HARD eggs (and huge) maybe you could score some infertile Emu eggs. Their eggs are deep peacock blue.

Back
Top Bottom