Hello from Massachusetts!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gardening&Feathers, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Hello Everyone, My partner and I have been following threads on this website for quite a while and have decided to finally join. I grew up raising chickens on a farm, moved to Boston, and moved back to a rural area so I can start again. We currently have 9 Araucana hens, 1 Rhode Island Red hen, 4 Khaki Campbell ducks (1 male - 3 females), and 4 Cukoo Marans. We have our flock in a 30x40 fully enclosed run, and they are able to go into their mansion of a coop which has 4 upper nesting boxes, 3 lower nesting boxes, as well as lots of space to run around and perch for when they don't want to go out in the winter months.

We are active gardeners, bee keepers, working towards a minimalist lifestyle and less waste lifestyle.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I wish you the best of luck with your chicken-keeping revival :thumbsup

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

3. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Welcome to BYC! You have certainly chosen a great, knowledgeable group of individuals to join!

4. Anagram

Anagram Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome!!

5. Sricher91

Sricher91 Chirping

Mar 22, 2018
    Welcome neighbor! I’m in Rhode Island :)

Do you keep your ducks in with your chickens?

6. Hello! I do, I grew up with that being the case with Pekings and various chicken breeds and never had an issue. The only time it became a problem so far is over the winter when we had bone chilling cold and none of them would leave their coop - having water that didn't freeze or that the ducks wouldn't make a mess with. The ducks are messier with their droppings and water usage and I needed to clean the coop out more often so the hay didn't get wet. That was only when they didn't want to go outside though - we do the deep litter method with hay and it hasn't been an issue with all of them living together.

7. Thank you!

8. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Blue Welcome.png
    Have fun here!

9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: