Hello from Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by petitepois, Mar 22, 2011.

1. petitepois

petitepois New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    Hello everyone. I came across this site while doing some research on guinea fowl and find it very informative and interesting. I am from an semi-urban part of Massachusetts - right outside of Boston - and hope to raise some guinea fowl this year if circumstances allow. Would love to connect with breeders and enthusiasts in the area!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Not from the area, but [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ocala, FL.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

[​IMG] Hi there! Welcome from western Kentucky! You'll enjoy it here -- there is a BOATLOAD of helpful information on all aspects of poultry raising! There are lots of friendly, helpful people who don't mind sharing what works, what doesn't work, and the ups and downs of poultry husbandry. You may find yourself spending lots of time on here... [​IMG] Anyway, hope to see you around the forum soon (and often!) [​IMG]

ETA: guineas are a whole 'nother ball game! They are so primal in the way they "think" -- meaning there's not a lot of "thinking" going on at all -- they operate strictly in instinct/survival mode. I had to make some adjustments in my expectations regarding their behavior! The chickens can figure out where the opening from the run into the fenced back yard is to free range. Two of the guineas will follow the chickens, and sometimes the other one gets sidetracked or left behind. That one will then throw itself against the fence repeatedly, or run up and down the fence line in a panic, getting within a foot or two of the gate but not SEE the gate. [​IMG] I then must usher the straggler to the opening, where he or she runs through and joins the other two in sheer relief. sigh.... They're just being guineas...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

AC