Hello from Mendocino, California

Welcome to BYC and the best of luck with your chicken journey!
:wee

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
This my first flock, chickens and turkeys, but the household we live with has had chickens as long as we've known them, kept turkeys and guineas in the past, and currently has a few ducks, which I believe is a new breed for them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have four turkeys and six chickens, hand-raised from poults/chicks starting back in May. The chicken hens played their first eggs in November.View attachment 3343497 The house has nine chickens of varying ages, some quite elderly, and four ducks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
One Narragansett and three broad-breasted bronze turkeys, one Sumatra, two cuckoo marans, and three olive eggers (I believe our local feed store sources chicks from Murray McMurray). All, miraculously, turned out to be hens.
The house has mixed bantams, included Sammy the rooster, and Junior, the mini-me he sired this spring.
No idea on the ducks, one is a medium white duck, the other three are a little bit fancy, and of them, one is at least part crested.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Hanging out with my tiny (and in the case of the turkeys, not so tiny) dinosaurs. Eggs are great, but really, I'm in it for the birds -- I could pretty much sit outside with them and never get bored :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I've been a longtime reader -- BYC is a great resource for Chicken Therapy as well as education. I've wanted to keep poultry for quite a while; we couldn't where we lived before -- but I could and did research (as well as admire lots of lovely pictures)!
Welcome to BYC!! I love the pics of you snuggling with your birds. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom