Hello from Mesa, AZ

randr ranch

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2016
Hi,
I've been coming to this forum so frequently, I thought I should join. Currently we have some old hens that are not laying anymore. They have a coop, but spend most of the day running around the backyard with the goats. I'm really missing those fresh eggs and my kids are missing all the pudding they used to eat. We have few chicken eggs in the incubator hopefully getting ready to hatch any minute. Only 1/3 of the eggs we bought were actually fertile
barnie.gif
Now I'm on the lookout for some fertile eggs closer to home. Our favorite chickens are Barred Rock and Ameracaunas, but would just like some good layers. The kids are trying to convince us to move to ducks, so I should probably read up on those. How does duck egg pudding taste?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like it is time for some spring chicks!
smile.png

Good luck on the hatch! I keep a few Barred Rocks. Love the color on this breed. They are so curious and smart! Lap sitters too.
tongue.png

You can stop by our Duck section for some help or even stop by our Other Poultry section in our learning center on Ducks. There are some articles on getting started with Ducks along with raising and keeping them....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock! :)

The crested ducks make me laugh with their little feather hats. Ducks may be in our future as these Indian Runner Ducklings
are softening my husbands' no duck stance to a maybe.

Nothing more silly than Runner Ducks. LOL Somewhere there is a video of about 200 Runner Ducks running back to the barn from free ranging...it is hilarious to watch them run!!
lol.png

They are adorable but, the running and not flying make them very vulnerable to predator attacks. If you get any please safeguard from preds on the ground and in the air.

Back
Top Bottom