Hello from Mesa, AZ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by randr ranch, Jan 15, 2016.

1. randr ranch

randr ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    Hi,
    I've been coming to this forum so frequently, I thought I should join. Currently we have some old hens that are not laying anymore. They have a coop, but spend most of the day running around the backyard with the goats. I'm really missing those fresh eggs and my kids are missing all the pudding they used to eat. We have few chicken eggs in the incubator hopefully getting ready to hatch any minute. Only 1/3 of the eggs we bought were actually fertile [​IMG]Now I'm on the lookout for some fertile eggs closer to home. Our favorite chickens are Barred Rock and Ameracaunas, but would just like some good layers. The kids are trying to convince us to move to ducks, so I should probably read up on those. How does duck egg pudding taste?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like it is time for some spring chicks! [​IMG]

Good luck on the hatch! I keep a few Barred Rocks. Love the color on this breed. They are so curious and smart! Lap sitters too. [​IMG]

You can stop by our Duck section for some help or even stop by our Other Poultry section in our learning center on Ducks. There are some articles on getting started with Ducks along with raising and keeping them....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock! :)

3. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    You should totally get ducks! I'm getting some this spring! There's some people on here that have really cute ducks such as @Tevyes Dad !

4. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    Oh and...[​IMG]

5. randr ranch

Jan 15, 2016
    The crested ducks make me laugh with their little feather hats. Ducks may be in our future as these Indian Runner Ducklings are softening my husbands' no duck stance to a maybe.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Nothing more silly than Runner Ducks. LOL Somewhere there is a video of about 200 Runner Ducks running back to the barn from free ranging...it is hilarious to watch them run!! [​IMG]

7. randr ranch

Jan 15, 2016
    They are too dignified to walk/run like regular ducks.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are adorable but, the running and not flying make them very vulnerable to predator attacks. If you get any please safeguard from preds on the ground and in the air.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. randr ranch

Jan 15, 2016
    I will, thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by