Hello from Michigan!

Specialk3749

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Hi,

My name is Karen and I am a stay at home mom of 7 children. We have raised egg laying chickens in the past, but because of a heavy population of raccoons, we no longer have any. The kids have been raising meat chickens to sell at our local fair for the past couple of years and have had fun doing it. My 4yo son was sad to see the chickens go this year so I promised him that I would get him some more egg layers because he LOVED taking care of the chickens. We have gotten the raccoon population down, so it is time to start all over again...I am thinking early spring getting some chicks. I am here to see what breed others have had success at for egg layers. I look forwad to meeting you all!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
Good luck with rebuilding your layer flock
frow.gif

Hey SpecialK! I am from Michigan too. Know all about those coons. Had one take out nearly an entire coop of SQ silkies. Just an awful day that was.

ANYWAY! Be sure to check out the Michigan thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697050/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome

I have faverolles, GL and SLW, NH, Silkie, bantam cochins and then a bunch of mutts. My best layers are NH, they lay every day... well did. One just hatched chicks. The silkie hen will lay a few days, then take a day off, then lay a day, and take one off. The bantam cochins lay about 5 week, the faverolle girls lay 4-6 a week. The GLW lays daily, the other 3 are only at POL. The mutts are mostly FAV crosses, and they pretty much lay 5-6 eggs a week also. All of my birds are chosen for kid friendliness. Some I just got because it was a JUST GOTTA HAVE IT! buy. LOL.

Anyway, be sure to have a secure coop for egg layers next year, and pray for a good winter. This winter was too mild, and too many kits survived for a coon explosion. A hot wire too... yup.

Welcome to BYC!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your past troubles with the coons. I hear hardware cloth is pretty good at keeping them out of your chicken coop. Good luck with the restart!

Greetings from Kansas, Specialk3749, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here. Lots of good breeds to choose from. Depends a lot on if you want just sheer numbers of white eggs, or are looking for brown or other shades. Good luck with getting your layer flock back!

Back
Top Bottom