Hello from Minnesota!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HarrietHens, Apr 8, 2017.

1. HarrietHens

HarrietHens Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Hello, BYC!

We're a pair of prospective backyard chicken enthusiasts and are excited to join this community. Now that the sun has finally come out in the frozen North, we're looking forward to starting a flock of 3-4 hens in our smallish urban backyard. Our main holdup: the coop. Other local chicken people have encouraged us to build our own coop, claiming that the prefab coops available at Home Depot, ACE and the like aren't appropriate for our climate. We have absolutely no experience building large structures, however, and are intimidated at the prospect of creating something from scratch.

Can anyone from Minnesota or a similarly chilly locale provide any insight? Is building our own absolutely the way to go, or are there adequate prefab options (that don't cost an arm and a leg!)? What do you think about purchasing a prefab coop and adding extra insulation?

Thank you!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Unfortunately, your advisors are quite right - the inexpensive pre-fab coops are inadequate on more than just a climate appropriateness level (they are also grossly undersized and constructed in ways that are not really based on the natural ways of chickens). The prebuilt coops that area more appropriate for chickens are often very cost prohibitive and one can easily build a simple coop that offers more for about 1/3 the price.
    I understand it can be intimidating - but have you thought of perhaps asking some of the local advisors you've already talked with to help you -- I would imagine many would be more than happy to help you design and build a coop to start your new adventure. Even if you are unable to round up the help, there are several pretty basic ideas that you could do with little to no building experience and some basic tools -- both here on BYC and on other sources online.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and wish you success in your plans to get your own flock.

I don't have your weather to contend with, but echo OGM's comments - those inexpensive prefab coops aren't large enough for full sized chickens, and if they were, would not last long enough to bother putting one together.

Mark off the dimensions of the proposed coops you have looked at and place 5 gallon buckets inside - one for each hen, one for water fount, and one for feeder - and see what you think.

Do explore the coop/runs section. Consider getting advice from those near you under the "where am I, where are you" forum.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have already been given excellent advice,so I will just say, Welcome to the Backyard Chickens flock [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, HarrietHens, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes with your coop plans and thanks for joining BYC! :woot

6. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    [​IMG]Hi there HarrietHens and [​IMG]! We're happy you could join us[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under HarrietHens [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. HarrietHens

HarrietHens Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and the valuable advice! Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

9. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello from L-vie hence lvie. Just trying to clarify the name as it is questioned. I am on another forum on BYC and after two years - Dah! - thought that maybe I should look around although I will never leave my first forum, I can join another one. Right? I am beginning my third year of having a flock and it has grown from the initial six birds to 21 now. I need to cut back but they are all so nice.

Hope to chat with you more.

10. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by