Hello From Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nprats, Mar 26, 2015.

1. nprats

nprats New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Well I started taking care of chickens last year. They free range and are super happy chickens. Unfortunately, today we lost our first chicken (her name was Bow) to some sort of predator. We don't know what took her!! I'm very sad to say the least! I needed some ideas for an affordable way to keep land predators at bay while still allowing my girls to scratch and be happy. I found a great suggestion in one of the threads. Love having chickens!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for the loss of your hen :hugs You might also try the Predator forum for ideas on dealing with them www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests Chicken tractors and movable electric netting are pretty popular if you have a large area to cover.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry for your loss. Welcome to Backyard chickens. How many chickens do you have now?

1 person likes this.
  4. nprats

nprats New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Thanks. I had 5 laying hens. Now I have 4. The one that was taken was a Rainbow Layer :-( I have 5 more chicks that i just bought this week. I have 3 RIR and a Buff Orpington left. Among the new chicks I have 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Barred Plymoth and 1 Buff Orpington. It is heart breaking. The photo on my Avatar was literally taken 30 minutes before I went back out again to close the coop. I'm looking into getting a light chicken tractor for them. I don't want to risk losing another one. But I want to make sure that they can still have access to fresh pasture.

Update: After a closer look under the daylight, the chicken that went missing was one of my RIR. Very sad day!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! So sorry to hear you have lost a hen, it's always sad when a member of the flock is lost :hugs
    Wishing you the very best of luck in the future and hope you are able to keep the rest of your flock safe.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry for the loss of Bow![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by