hello from Mossyrock Washington

pennyJo1960

Old lady with allot of birds.
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Mossyrock, WA
Good morning I am 55 legally blind but enjoy my 13 chickens. I raised them from babies bought at Dels. I have 4 barred rocks, 2 rode Island reds and 6 Brahmas. I have a Geodesic building 17 feet in diameter for a coup I will take photos of and post later. We had chickens when I was a kid on the farm but this has been a big learning curve for me and this sight has been a great way to learn how to care for them.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'll look forward to seeing your photos. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

This is the outside of my geodesic coop

this is the outside of their run we have to contain them as we have 3 stupid dogs that want to play or eat them our Pom x chihuahua mix is the worst.

I have 5 barred rocks, 2 rhode island reds, 6 brahmas and 1 pain in the tush turkey all female

this is the bramsa

this was my original coop way to small for 13 hens

more of the outside

some of our nesting boxes

more nesting boxes

the pony wall we put in the coop, it has chicken wire up about 4 feet

this is a man door into the coop

the floor of the coop has shavings I use 3 red feeders twice daily with a bit of feed on the floor

the next two are of the 2 heat lamps we have for them

this is of the dome hubs

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I don't think I've seen a dome coop before - neat!

As a greeter, have heard many tales of newbies having their flock massacred by of all things, doxies, Chihuahuas, yorkies etc. I always thought it was the large breeds that were the villains. Cats do a lot of destruction also. I think it's best that chickens and dogs/cats, NEVER meet.

thank you, I a not really new to chickens but was a child feeding. cleaning and collecting eggs before. my friends and I bought this house on 3/4 an acre it took 5 moths to close. I became impatient waiting and was going to get 4 or 5 birds that turned into 14 now 13 being raised in puppy pen in a basement. now they he the me large enough for my brood

Welcome to Backyard chickens.  I don't think I've seen a dome coop before - neat!  

As a greeter, have heard many tales of newbies having their flock massacred by of all things,  doxies, Chihuahuas, yorkies etc.   I always thought it was the large breeds  that were the villains.  Cats do a lot of destruction also.   I think it's best that chickens and dogs/cats, NEVER meet.

I personally have lost most of my chickens to my cats. BUT it was my fault for underestimating my cats hunting abilities and letting immature chickens out to free range. Now my adult chickens, cats, and dogs all coexist very happily (so it can be done) But I appreciate your reasoning.

We bought the first one having to wait till closing to have it delivered, I essentially had two coops at first but they all crammed in one then I got the idea to buy another one for the chickens tare 17 feet in diameter. gentleman who makes them lives outside Chehalis. the other one I have is my Barn

I learned working dogs for 35 years allot of their behavior so did right I built them a large yard

Back
Top Bottom