Hello from NC coast!

That's so funny - I live in Onslow! Thanks for that tip about contacting the post office - I will certainly do that. Or have my husband do that, as he will be the one who picks them up.

Thanks, Sumi, for that ventilation info! I think I might take one wall and make another "window" sized opening (instead of the long rectangular vents), like 2'x3' that can be covered with a hinged door or slat of wood. That way, two walls have nice size openings that can be closed if it gets chilly, and the other two walls will provide permanent ventilation without allowing breezes to blow directly on the chickens (the vents will be up higher than the next boxes and roosts).

I can already tell that I'll be spending lots of time here... so much great info!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

I live in Craven county! I was worried about the heat also. My pullets are in the coop now and they have under the eave ventilation, a window and I hung a fan from the ceiling to keep the air moving. I add ice and apple cider vinegar to there water. Electrolytes when I have them. I also open the big side door in the afternoon and they all usually sit inside in the shade and breeze of the fan. I haven't see any of them panting so they must be cool enough. They also love cold watermelon!

Hey there! We are very soon moving to New Bern. We will have a house with 2+ acres. I can't find any definitive info on whether I can have a small coop at our house. Is this a county or town reg.? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom