Hello from NC

kqsnider

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
Thomasville, NC
My name is Kathleen. I was born and raised in NYC and moved to NC 17 years ago. (Wow how time flies.) So anyway, my husband is getting a real kick out of the fact that I really want chickens since he views me as a city girl. I am really excited about the chickens. There is a house I drive by frequently that has a few chickens and they are so pretty. I always hope they're out so I can see them for a quick second. Plus I would love an opportunity to teach my kids a few lessons, go greener and have some fresh eggs. Although teaching teenagers lessons these days seems more like punishment in their eyes, but as they love to say, "Whatever!"

Here are my questions:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
YES! My first chickens should be here in April. After much research, planning and overthinking, my husband and I are ready to take the plunge.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None yet

(3) What breeds do you have?
I want a Red Star, Rhode Island Red, Jersey Giant, Easter Egger and a Leghorn. I like variety.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I think Google. I've been doing so many searches on different things, it's hard to remember exactly how I landed here.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Cooking. I love to cook.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have four children ages 10, 12, 13, and 15. Most of my time is spent on their hobbies and activities it seems. The chickens are for my husband and I, and the benefits to the kids are an extra benefit. We also have a miniature dachschund, a black lab and a chiuaua(or however you spell it)/jack russel mix. When I'm not busy with all of that, I am an independent project paralegal.

I've enjoyed reading this board, and so has my daughter. We especially love the pictures. She's going to be my partner in crime in this whole exciting project!

welcome-byc.gif
from Utah. This is a great place to be!

Quote:
I am in Thomasville - Davidson County. Not in Thomasville by choice anymore (kids and selling this house) but at least I can have some chickens.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Wv
frow.gif

(3) What breeds do you have?
I want a Red Star, Rhode Island Red, Jersey Giant, Easter Egger and a Leghorn. I like variety.

I have for now 13 grown, 4 just getting feathered out and 4 peeps. Justed hatched 20 but 16 went to new home already.
Will be getting some more this spring.
I have 4 Cuckoo Marans (Cm)- roo,hen,2 peeps. 2 Araucana hens, 1 EE peep, 1 Silver Lace(SLW) hen, 1 Gold Lace hen(GLW), 4 Blue Laced Red(BLR) babies feathering out now. Wyandottes, 1 Blk. Star hen, 1 Split Blk. Orpington (OP)hen, 1 Blk. Jersey Gaint hen(JG) 2 Welsummers,roo,hen , 1 Cochin roo, 1 Partridge Rock(PR), 1 SLW/Cochin peep.
I think that is it.
My best layers are the Star, JG, Maran, Wyandottes, Araucana-EE's - Mine lay Blue eggs
I will be getting more Marans, Pos JG's and BLRW and culling the other hatchery stock after these new one start to lay. Not the Maran or Wyandottes,welsummers.
You will really like this site everyone is really helpfull. Good luck with your new chicks when you get them.
Variety is good to start with but, I will give you a warning you will find some you like and want more. Before you know it you will be breeding and hatching away.
hide.gif
gig.gif

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom