Hello from NH

Jschaaff

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
New Hampshire
Hello! My names is Jessa, and I am from chilly New Hampshire (though today we do have a hot, foreign object in the sky that I believe some of you refer to as the “sun”...I am not certain as I haven't seen it in so long ;-) I wasn't sure what else to say!..so...I'm going to take a crack at the form questions:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up raising chickens with my parents (pigs, ducks & turkeys too)... I hated every second of it...complained every day I had to do it.. and now couldn't live a happy life without it!
smile.png
My husband and I (okay me...but he had to build the coop
wink.png
...) got our first flock in 2008

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 7 laying hens/roos, and 10 Cornish X's. We also have 5 quail and more on the way (Day SIX in incubator!!)

(3) What breeds do you have?I have 1 teeny tiny White Leghorn, who rules the roost. 3 Delawares (Roos...or Hen?...somebody just crow and lay a darn egg already!!!), 1 girl who was supposed to be a Welsummer but she lays blue eggs...She looks like my Ameraucanas, but has puffy cheeks...so maybe Araucana? And 2 Ameraucana girls.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Oh..from my many many many google searches, to answer my endless barrage of questions...

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Canning, designing and sewing fashion clothing, crocheting, gardening, baking, healthy cooking, and blogging...and remembering to breathe at some point each day in between it all.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My family consists of:
DH (together for 19 years, married for 6...yeah, guess he had to be “Sure” lol)
13DS who hates anything farming at the moment...but there is always hope!!
11DD who loves to help with the gardening and chicken chores, but calling her DEAR is a
biggggg stretch lol. She is like having 5, naughty six year olds...and she totally gets it from her daddy
wink.png

Dogs: Sergeant Major , our Jack, min-pin mix. (Sarge, got promoted to Sergeant Major when we got Gunny..I mean come on we could NOT let him be out ranked...even if he's25 lbs and Gunny's 70 lol)
Gunny, our Shepard, pit-bull mix who greatly resembles a Hyena. Really.

Our cat Bandit, or queenie as she is usually referred to. We exist ONLY to feed her, change her litter box, and giver her fresh water and scratching posts. At least I am aware of my purpose in life..thanks to Bandit lol

Our chickens: Lucy, Ari, Chicken (yes, DS named Leghorn...”Chicken”...he is so very creative) and Puffy. Our new Delawaresare yet un-named. We did name one Cornish X... “Hoppy” as she had bumblefoot, and until it was fully healed, she would hop on one foot everywhere...having to isolate and take care of her was very hands on...thus I fell for her a bit..and will think on her very fondly as I'm packing her for freezer camp.
wink.png

Our 5 quail...no names yet. 1 ½ week old babies.

And a few random fish.

That's my family
smile.png

I have been reading these forums for months (THANK YOU...for the help you all have given) and decided it was time to stop stalking...and start talking
wink.png
I am looking forward to learning and sharing.

Have a great day!
~Jessa

EDIT: Three new additions to the flock today! 9 month old Silver-Laced Wyandotte, 6 month old Mottled Java, and a 6 month old HUGE buff Brahma!! So update: So I now have TEN laying hens/roos!!
smile.png

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Nice introduction! Sounds like you have a wonderful menagerie there. Love the description of your 11 yr old DD. Sounds like my 8 yr old DS! Hope you get lots of good info on this site!

Back
Top Bottom