Hello from NJ

tennismama

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
I gave away 2 barred rock roosters around the middle of April. ( I thought I had purchased hens last fall- not! ) About 10 days ago I went out to feed my hens and found two just hatched chicks. The hen that they came from is not people friendly. Don't even know what kind she is, my son rescued them from the farm, a bunch of chicks had been trampled by some cows. Don't know where she was laying on her eggs. I put her in a small dog house like structure with access for her, but not the chicks, to get in and out. Seemed to work well. Mama is happy, chicks seem to be thriving. Now another one of these same small non people friendly hens has joined her and is sitting on eggs. Could they still be laying fertile eggs? I honestly don't remember the day that I sent the roosters to the farm but it had to have been more than a month ago now. ( sometime in mid to late April) I am perplexed! Any thoughts?

welcome-byc.gif
Do any of your neighbors having free ranging chickens, especially roosters?

Greetings from Kansas, tennismama, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I think I've heard that a hen that has been bred can lay fertile eggs for two weeks. So, if any of those eggs were layed within that two week time frame from when you're rooster departed could be fertile. Or, as drumstick said...an imposter rooster?? Good luck to you!

No roosters in the neighborhood. It must be the ones that I sent away. But I'm still perplexed about the ones these hens are laying on now. Would they sit on eggs day after day if they were NOT fertile? Do they get confused about such things? Lol!

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Yes hens will sit on unfertile eggs. I have broody hens right now that are either sitting on golf balls or NOTHING. They dont seem to mind. Eventually they will give up when nothing hatches. I just make sure to boot all my broodies off the nest daily so they cant get a drink, bite to eat and some exercise. Some will literally sit there and starve themselves to death.

Good luck to you

Back
Top Bottom