Hello from NM!

Thank you so much! Another person was thinking that the black hen might be a Jersey Giant on a thread I posted in the Identification sub-forum. What characteristics are you seeing that say Australorp? (I'm still learning.) Her feet look yellow to me. Also, I was told that the previous owner was getting colored eggs. I'm almost positive the other chickens she had were a Leghorn and two Barred Rocks. So far, the brown hen has laid brown eggs... Any insight?
Her colors (that I can see in the photo) are identical to those of either a Black Australorp or a Black Jersey Giant. It's virtually impossible to tell them apart in a photo. I said Black Australorp only because they are a far more common breed than the Black Jersey Giant, but she certainly could be a Black Jersey Giant. Take a look at the bottom of the feet. If they are an obvious yellow, she is a Black Jersey Giant. If not (whitish or grayish), she is a Black Australorp.

Her colors (that I can see in the photo) are identical to those of either a Black Australorp or a Black Jersey Giant. It's virtually impossible to tell them apart in a photo. I said Black Australorp only because they are a far more common breed than the Black Jersey Giant, but she certainly could be a Black Jersey Giant. Take a look at the bottom of the feet. If they are an obvious yellow, she is a Black Jersey Giant. If not (whitish or grayish), she is a Black Australorp.

Thank you so much Michael! I really appreciate the info :) I haven't earned her trust yet, as far as handling, but she's taking treats from me so hopefully soon!

Thank you so much Michael! I really appreciate the info :) I haven't earned her trust yet, as far as handling, but she's taking treats from me so hopefully soon!

You're welcome. Both BAs and BJGs are fine breeds. The BJGs have more meat on them, and the BAs lay a better, but both breeds are calm and gentle.

Back
Top Bottom