Hello from Norcal

Dreamy Chicken

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
Hi everyone! Here's the scoop on us.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We're not new but not old hands either. We got our first three hens in late 2018.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We currently have 9 adults and 11 chicks with 10 more pullets arriving between late April and May. We started with 3 hens. Then we lost one last summer to a predator. After that the math got crazy lol.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Current adults are 4 silkies (3 roo, 1 hen), 2 Black Copper Marans, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 bantam Orpington, and 1 bantam Easter Egger. The chicks are 4 light Brahma (1 roo, 3 hens), 4 black Jersey Giants (1 roo, 3 hens), and 3 random "rare breed hens. The pullets will be 2 light brahma, 2 lavender orpington, 2 silver spangled hamburg, 2 gold spangled hamburg, and 2 mille fleur d'uccle.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

The eggs are phenomenal but I also love watching them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I cook a lot, crochet when my 4 year old lets me, and read.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm married with a 4 year old son. We have a fish tank and 4 cats. We started our family late so my husband and I are in our mid 40s. It's been an interesting journey!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I sstarted reading on the forum over a year ago but was just lurking. Since my flock is getting a lot bigger I thought I would join.

Back
Top Bottom