Hello from Northeast Ohio!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FateOfMind, Mar 7, 2014.

1. FateOfMind

FateOfMind Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Northeast Ohio
    Hello!

I am somewhat new to the world of chickens, although I volunteered at a farm for many years when I was very small and spent plenty of time gathering eggs as well as corralling chickens, sheep, and goats. I have finally moved back to a somewhat rural setting so I am excited to be able to have a tiny farm of my own. :)

I will be getting four chicks on March 17th through my local feed store. They are going to be picking them up from Meyer Hatchery here in Ohio. I am getting a Rhode Island Red, a Partridge Rock, a Buff Orpington, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. I have spent hundreds of hours over the past few months doing research, so I hope I have a good things and am happy to join this community for advice! I have a 4ft round brooder set up in my garage, all ready to go when they arrive!

I work for a local hospital as a Critical Care Paramedic doing interfacility ground transport (think life flight helicopter on the ground) for mostly newborns and children. I work three 12 hour shifts a week, so I have four days off to spend with my critters and soon-to-be garden. Currently I have two Conures (parrots), and two dogs, one is a Toy Fox Terrier and the other is a White German Shepherd/Lab mix. I live with my girlfriend of five years in a small house on 2 1/2 acres heated primarily with wood. It just so happens that the first year we learn to "rough it" with wood heat it's the worst it's winter Ohio has seen in quite a few years. That's my luck :rolleyes:

I think that's it for now, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask!

Jacob

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicken project!

3. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    Hi here, Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you really enjoy your animals, good luck with your new flock. Your ahead of the game if you've done your research!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Jacob, welcome to BYC and good luck with your chicks. It's been a horrible winter, but spring has to come.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you are seeing an improvement in weather - stronger sun melting snow and somewhat higher temps interspersed with the low ones - like we are in the Chicago area. Ugh, what a winter - seems bad all over the country. But spring will not be denied. BTW Welcome to the flock [​IMG]

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

8. FateOfMind

FateOfMind Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got my chicks today!!

Turns out they got Barred Rock instead of Plymouth Rock which is what I originally wanted anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by