Hello from Northern Colorado!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice to have you join, Brittany! I, also, live in Colorado!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the welcomes! I got my girls (hopefully all girls anyway lol) this morning! They seems to be settling in just fine :)

I did end up getting 2 Golden Wyandotte and 2 Blue Cochin. Their names are going to be (blues) Iris & Violet and (goldens) Petunia & Clover. One of my Cochins has yellow on her face so she might end up being Iris but we'll see if it lasts. :p

Last edited:
Here's an update :)

Today I took the girls outside to check out their coop and just the outdoors in general. They are just a little over 2 weeks old, me thinks! The cochins are popping up feathers everywhere! While the wyandottes are just working on wing feathers right now.

We're thinking Clover might actually be a rooster. :( "She" towers above everyone (as seen below on the right, then left) and is also like twice as heavy. "She" also just seems to be the one who watches over the rest of the flock and "she" will be off by "herself" a little bit while the other 3 are sitting together. But I guess we'll see.

Violet- 2 weeks old

Petunia- 2 weeks old

Iris- 2 weeks old

Clover- 2 weeks old

Welcome Brittany. It looks like your chicks are doing very good. I also live here in Loveland where did you get your chickens?
Here are pictures of our chickens and coop.
[/IMG][/IMG]

I hope you haven't assembled your coop yet so you can take it back. If it's the cheapo ones from Jax they are junk. If the wire is simple chicken wire, you will need to replace it with hardware cloth if you plan on keeping dogs out. They are too small to be of use.

The one blue cochin I picked up at Feeder's 2 years ago. was very nice quality, I've not has as nice and heavy shank and foot feathering on a bird since.

Percheron- I didnt! I got it from Costco believe it or not but I might need to add on to it cuz Im not sure it's big enough for 4 large hens. Luckily, my Dad is a wood worker so I can ask him to help me out with expanding it. But the coop seems like a good start.

Yeah, I am really happy with my Cochins thus far, they are so cute and are getting lots of feathers on their feet! I haven't update yet but here is everyone at 3 weeks.

Violet

Iris

Petunia

Clover

It's the same. It's an extremely cheap Chinese build. It won't keep a dog out. They count the overall footprint (coop and run) to determine how many chickens it can hold instead of just the coop. You need a large enough coop for days when it's blowing and snowing. It's the right size for a broody hen and her chicks. I know Danielle (Feeders) had some cute locally built coops that appeared sturdy. Don't know the price. I think they are also on CL.
00N0N_i7OL2bq6sK4_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I'll definitely have my Dad check it out and make changes/fix it for me then. He's a very skilled woodworker so I know he can help me out. My hubbie got me the coop as a surprise since he knew I wanted Chickens.

Back
Top Bottom