Hello from Northern Michigan!

nikolairapunzel

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2015
Northern Michigan
Hello, I am Nicole and we have our first chickens! We got them almost 4 weeks ago. There are 2 EE, Vanilla and Milky Way, 2 RIR, Ember and Sunrise and 2 BO, Clarence and Pablo. All are pullets (we think/hope). I have a 13 year old who is helping as much as she can and a 10 year old boy as well:) are there other members from Northern MI? Tonight is going to be COLD (low 30s) and I am a little nervous about their coldest night yet! Their coop is 40 degrees right now, but I do have a 100 watt bulb they are sleeping in front of so that area is warmer...trying to decide if they NEED the 250 watt lamp. Oops, getting way off topic on my intro! I have really enjoyed reading here so far.
Edited to say, changed the lamp to the 250 watt in case anyone wondered:)

Last edited:
Hi Nicole, welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you have a nice flock started and it's great to get the kids involved.

There is a state thread for MI members, here's a link to get you there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697050/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome

Chickens deal with cold weather better than heat but that's pretty chilly for young birds. You could put the 250 watt bulb in their coop and if they all stay as far from the heat as possible, then they are too warm. If they all cluster directly under the heat, they are too cold. What you want to see is the birds moving in and out of the heat.

Good luck with your birds. Nice to have you join us!

Hi Nicole, welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you have a nice flock started and it's great to get the kids involved.

There is a state thread for MI members, here's a link to get you there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697050/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome

Chickens deal with cold weather better than heat but that's pretty chilly for young birds. You could put the 250 watt bulb in their coop and if they all stay as far from the heat as possible, then they are too warm. If they all cluster directly under the heat, they are too cold. What you want to see is the birds moving in and out of the heat.

Good luck with your birds. Nice to have you join us!

Thanks for the welcome and the link! I went and checked and they are roosting in front of the lamp. 2 together, 3 together and one about 6 inches over. If only that told me anything:) I may try and switch to the 250 watt...they have been out in the coop this last week in as low as 55-60 during the days and at night the coop has been staying 50 but they roost in front of the lamp. I need them to learn to talk and tell me what they want, lol!

Generally young chicks are kept in a brooder indoors, with heat lamp (lowering gradually every week since hatch) until they are fully feathered out at 6-8 weeks. Otherwise they don't have a thermostat to warm themselves up. They need their feathers to insulate them. Downy fuzzed chicks don't have it yet.
welcome-byc.gif

Generally young chicks are kept in a brooder indoors, with heat lamp (lowering  gradually every week since hatch) until they are fully feathered out at 6-8 weeks. Otherwise they don't have a thermostat to warm themselves up.  They need their feathers to insulate them.  Downy fuzzed chicks don't have it yet.:welcome

I had them inside at first, they have a lot of feathers and just their heads are still a bit fuzzy;)

Back
Top Bottom