Hello from northern WI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Randykid, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Randykid

Randykid In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2018
    Shell Lake WI
    Hey all, my name is Randy and I thought I’d introduce myself a little bit. I’m 32 years old and I grew up on a small, 30 cow dairy farm in northern Wisconsin, and this is where my interest in chickens began. My dad was the youngest of 13, and while in high school in Illinois, he raised over 125 chickens the back yard and sold the eggs to the local grocery stores. My grandfather was a logger in northern WI, and by the time my dad was a junior in high school, my grandmother had moved up to WI with my grandpa. Dad was trusted to take care of the house, and instead of getting a job, he decided to raise chickens for the eggs and meat. We had chickens on the farm, but maybe 20 at most. I was the oldest of 3, I have a younger brother and sister. This fall, my parents will be going on 40 years of milking cows on their small family farm. I stop by when I can to help out with field work and chores, and each fall, my wife share a sweet corn business with my parents as well. They realized about 20 years ago that milking cows alone was not going to gain them much profit so they started their own sweet corn business.

I got married in the summer of 2010, and right away built a small chicken coop for my very first birds. I went with 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Barred Rocks, and 4 Rhode Island Reds because those were what we had growing up on the farm. Nine years later, I my coop has grown a bit to almost 50 chickens and 10 guinea fowl.

I have a variety of breeds right now (due to bringing home a few chicks from the science classroom when they hatched the eggs from an incubator as a class project. I taught physical education at the time and the science teacher approached me about taking them when no one else would). I would say my favorite breed is the Buff Orpington because of how docile and curious they are and how good they are in cold weather (it gets COLD up here in the north!). Right now I have Lavender Orpingtons, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and a couple Blue and Black Copper Marans. I also have guineas, which I have come to enjoy. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, and thus have a black lab for retrieving. It seems like every year the ticks get worse here, so having guineas has been real nice. Cabela, our lab, would always come in with at least 15-20 ticks on her, after being outside for just 2 minutes. After I released the guineas, she would maybe come in with one or two. For this reason, I have kept up with having guineas in my yard.

Some favorite aspects of raising chickens is just watching them grow and interact with watch other and their surroundings. I’ve always enjoyed getting the eggs as well, from the time I was a kid and still to this day. my hope is that it’ll be something my kids will find joy in someday. Other hobbies of mine are John Deere tractors, Honda three wheelers and Arctic Cat snowmobiles. I’m also an avid hunter, fisherman, and all around outdoorsman. My hope is to have a small hobby farm someday with multiple animals.

As far as learning about Backyard Chickens, I used to always look up what foods were safe for my birds, and this was the website that explained things to a T, so I began following it.

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join us! :welcome

3. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    D561E4BA-E0DE-4B55-8E1B-4D3C4071F4D1.jpeg
    Welcome to BYC!​

4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello Randykid.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Naturally that's the first thing anyone does as soon as they've got married; build a chicken coop.:p:lol:

5. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Randy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Glad to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome Randy! :frow
    I hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do!!!

7. ClucksAndCombs

ClucksAndCombs Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    Welcome to BYC!:frow

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people who will answer them :)

Good luck with your flock!

8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Randy, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

casportpony, 007Sean, ronott1 and 9 others like this.
  9. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Randy and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
    [​IMG] then click on the following URL
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
    Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
    [​IMG]
    Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
    [​IMG]
    That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

casportpony, 007Sean, ronott1 and 7 others like this.
  10. N F C

N F C happy spring!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Randy, nice intro!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: