Hello from NW (Toledo) Ohio!

ToledoClucker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Hello BYC community! I have been lurking around the site for a few weeks now and decided it was high time I join. I currently live in Toledo, OH with my fiance and her two children (9 and 8). I am contemplating raising some chickens, both as a hobby and also as a source of fun for the kids. I don't think my fiance is too thrilled about this, but hopefully time will change her mind :)

Does anyone know where I can find some direct information relating to the legality of raising chickens within the city limits of Toledo? I am receiving conflicting information - some sources say that up to 10 hens are allowed, others are saying that you have to have an approval from the State Health Inspector first. I just dont want to get in any legal battles over a few chickens, so if anyone has any information, please let me know!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning more about this interesting hobby!

WelcometoBYC.gif

Howdy from Texas! Like you I lurked for a while and am still learning a lot here!! I still haven't built my coop or bought chickens yet but I have the coop designed and have begun to collect materials. I hope to begin the project in earnest in the next few weeks and to have chickens by the springtime. I look forward to seeing you here. Welcome!!
welcome-byc.gif

Hello! I am aware that I have to follow my city ordinances, my question concerns getting a definitive answer on the legality of raising chickens within Toledo city limits. I have searched for hours, and I am finding conflicting information (some sites say up to 10 hens, others say with a written variance from the health inspector, and still other sites say not allowed). I have tried calling the Mayor's office, and expectedly, they sound a little shocked and transfer me to someone with whom I leave a message yet never get a call back. Hence, I was just curious if anyone had been through this and had some concrete info. I guess I'll keep searching and thanks for all of the great replies!

Back
Top Bottom