Hello from NY state ... Otsego county

demerson

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 3, 2011
Otego NY
First year chicken herder , started this spring with some misc. chicks and am addicted already.
We have 2 leghorn hens that were given to us 6 hens that are black with a red/orange/copper set of feathers around their necks ( ???) .... 9 hens that are reddish/buff colored and 2 roosters orange and black one with a white tail and one with a black tail. Have no idea what kind they are ... they lay some of the darkest brown eggs I've seen , well except for the leghorns.
Have 4 chicks about 3 weeks old from hatch #1 ( homemade incubator in a foam cooler , lightbulb , dimmer etc) and we have 42 eggs in an incubator right now on day 8 .
big_smile.png

Nice to meet you, I am from Madison County, not too far away. Sounds like you are doing great. I have 6 Redstars
(red sexlinks), they are giving us between 4 and 6 eggs a day. I have always wanted to hatch some chicks.

Hatching is pretty fun - exciting for the family- especially to one dog --- we are getting 14 to 16 eggs per day out of our 19 birds well 17 hens. Good thing we all like eggs.

frow.gif
Hi there!
welcome-byc.gif
from Connecticut. I guess we're almost neighbors, but for hours and hours of driving.
Are you looking for help in figuring out breeds? I only know what I have, and a few other types I've "met" or read about. That said, it sounds like you might have some Marans in your flock (or maybe Welsummers). I've heard their egg color referred to as "chocolate brown." But do they all lay those dark eggs? The reddish/buff colored ones could be any number of breeds: New Hampshire Red, RIR, Red Sexlink (like Comet or Red Star), etc. Their eggs are the more "normal" brown, but with lots of variations.
I hope you post some more on the forum, so you can get some pictures up here. Then the more expert members can offer their learned opinions. Meanwhile, enjoy exploring the site!

Back
Top Bottom