Hello from Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ashnnick, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ashnnick

ashnnick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2016
    I'm excited to learn/ educate myself on raising my ducks and chickens :)

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! If you have questions on either bird I can help answer your questions. There are many others as well that can help.

1 person likes this.
  3. ashnnick

Jan 18, 2016
    Thanks!! My concerns and questions right pertain to integrating my "old" flock with the new. I have 5 RIR's that will be a year old in March. My husband and I just got 7 new chicks. Once the chicks are old enough to move to the coop how do we go about doing this to keep the fighting down??

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    If you can have it so they can see each other but not touch each other for a few weeks and then you can introduce them together. I would wait until they are maybe 4 months to 6 months before introducing them to try and keep fighting down. Though chances are there is still going to be some pecking but not as much when they are separate. Also try to resist from getting involved unless the chick is bleeding them step in. If you keep stepping in sometimes it will make things worse and other times it does help. They usually sort things out without causing blood. There's a bit of a reason why they call it "Pecking Order" literally.

2 people like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Excellent advice from Birdrain. With chickens it's generally best to try integration (look, but don't touch) when they are close to size of the older birds. Welcome to BYC.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Yo already have great advice, so I'll just say hi and and welcome to our community.

Ct

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good advice on the "look but don't touch". Adding extra feeders and waterers so no one is kept from eating and drinking will help too. There's an excellent article about integration in the Learning Center (along with a lot of other helpful information):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. ashnnick

Jan 18, 2016
    Thankyou everyone for your advice!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by