Hello from Ohio!

Amber Orpington

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
Hello! I'm finally a member and not just a lurker!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I first got chickens about 4 years ago. We also have raised quail.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 6 full size chickens and 10 bantams.

(3) What breeds do you have? I have a barred rock, black, brown and lavender orpingtons, golden-laced wyandotte, Belgian d'uccles, silkies, and welsummers.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I really love problem-solving various aspects of raising them; I love spending time with time and sitting and watching them interact with me and each other; I greatly admire their composting skills! We have hatched eggs and raised chicks and hope we will get to see a hen raise her own chicks sometime.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I have just started my first big garden. I also like reading about mini-farming, British cozy mysteries, doing crosswords, walking in the woods with my children and corgi, and I enjoy a cold Bell's Two-Hearted Ale after working in the yard. I used to like to travel, but now all my happiness is found right at home in the garden with the chickens.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We were a Navy family until two years ago, hence the first big garden is happening now. One of my kids loves to work on our "farm" and the other one loves to read and draw manga and my husband builds guitars. We are enjoying putting down roots after 20 years of moving around and seeing the world.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D. I have used BYC as a resource since we first got chicks 4 - 5 years ago. I finally joined because I think I'm ready to be a participant and not a lurker. LOL.:)

Back
Top Bottom