Hello from OK

Do you raise for show or as a hobby? Just curious. I am more interested in squab type breeds but I do think they can be beautiful birds and also quite entertaining. Though the idea of showing them or racing them isn't my kind of a good time.

Do you raise for show or as a hobby? Just curious. I am more interested in squab type breeds but I do think they can be beautiful birds and also quite entertaining. Though the idea of showing them or racing them isn't my kind of a good time.

Just a hobby right now, and I'll be selling off the extra offspring at some point. I'd like to raise for show (or at least breed to the standard) once I've learned more about them and expanded my facilities.

And how big do they get? It seems utility pigeons are very hard to come by. Everyone seems to raise show breeds or racing breeds and scoffs at the idea of anyone raising them for food. It'd be a lot easier if racing pigeons may be worth the effort to raise for squabbling purposes.

And how big do they get? It seems utility pigeons are very hard to come by. Everyone seems to raise show breeds or racing breeds and scoffs at the idea of anyone raising them for food. It'd be a lot easier if racing pigeons may be worth the effort to raise for squabbling purposes.

I've never seen a squab breed in real life, but the Fantails and tumblers don't seem like they'd be all that useful as squab birds. I've heard that the big meat breeds get like 1.5-2 pounds and these guys definitely aren't that. My biggest Fantail male is maybe 1 pound - maybe. The tumblers are all slightly smaller than your average city pigeon.

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you have fun with your Quail!!!

I've never seen a squab breed in real life, but the Fantails and tumblers don't seem like they'd be all that useful as squab birds. I've heard that the big meat breeds get like 1.5-2 pounds and these guys definitely aren't that. My biggest Fantail male is maybe 1 pound - maybe. The tumblers are all slightly smaller than your average city pigeon.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Well, I'm not discouraged easily so I'll continue looking for those meat breed pigeons but thanks for your input on the matter anyhow. Do you happen to have any experience/knowledge with doves? I've heard all pigeons can trace their ancestry back to doves so maybe I should be looking into doves for squabs.

:welcome
Hope you have fun with your Quail!!!

And thanks, blue! I plan on it!

Back
Top Bottom