Hello from Oklahoma

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have a breed preference?
I'm leaning toward either Australorp or Orpington based on a couple different factors but haven't totally decided.

I'm leaning toward either Australorp or Orpington based on a couple different factors but haven't totally decided.

I've got both of them and they are both great breeds; very cold hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of both breeds), and good layers of large brown eggs. Australorps are more heat hardy and will outlay the Orpingtons. Orpingtons are have a little more meat on them and (in my opinion) are slightly the prettier of the two. If you can't decide between them, you can always get both breeds. Whichever you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

I've got both of them and they are both great breeds; very cold hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of both breeds), and good layers of large brown eggs. Australorps are more heat hardy and will outlay the Orpingtons. Orpingtons are have a little more meat on them and (in my opinion) are slightly the prettier of the two. If you can't decide between them, you can always get both breeds. Whichever you decide to get, good luck with your flock.
That was another question I had. I'm guessing those breeds get along well in a mixed flock? I think eventually I will get multiple breeds but to start of I'd like to buy chicks all from one.

That was another question I had. I'm guessing those breeds get along well in a mixed flock? I think eventually I will get multiple breeds but to start of I'd like to buy chicks all from one.

Yes, both breeds are very docile breeds that get along great in a mixed flock. Australorps were originally bred from Orpington stock for the purpose in increasing the lay rate. However if you don't get them as chicks together, be sure and integrate them slowly and carefully using the "look but don't touch" method. There is a good article at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens explaining how to do this. This holds true for integrating any breeds.

Yes, both breeds are very docile breeds that get along great in a mixed flock. Australorps were originally bred from Orpington stock for the purpose in increasing the lay rate. However if you don't get them as chicks together, be sure and integrate them slowly and carefully using the "look but don't touch" method. There is a good article at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens explaining how to do this. This holds true for integrating any breeds.
Which breed is better at brooding? I'm sure I can look it up but I'd like to know from someone who's actually experienced it.

Which is better at brooding? I'm sure I can look it up but I'd like to hear it from someone that has maybe experienced it.

Which is better at brooding? I'm sure I can look it up but I'd like to hear it from someone that has maybe experienced it.
Both breeds do a good job in brooding and raising the chicks, but Orpingtons tend to go broody more often than Australorps. The success in breeding the increased egg production into the Australorps seems to have bred some of the broodiness out of them.

Back
Top Bottom